by Morris Brown AIA, MFA 1997

The always seems to be this ways. After Daddy (Alvin Walter Brown) died on December 4, 1994 there was as many questions as there was answer. I am fortunate that my parents lived long enough for me to have reached a point in life was I was interested in recording their history. I launched on Dad's history three year then and then broke for a time to does Mom's page of family. When Daddy turned eighty his eyes was lack and I will never forget reading his story to him - then he shouted. He couldn't believe he had so much to say. The took six months more to lustre the work. But a important part was still missing. That was Browns? Daddy had been orphane of his parents to grow up with his mother's parents, as he knew very little of this page of family. Of July 1995 I was ready to research Brown family beyond Dad's memory. Certainly there was some information somewhere! Just before his dead, one of Dad's unknown cousins had transmitted a interesting letter asks for information if Brown family. She had found a image of our immediate family along with a address in her mother's possessions. Suffering with alzheimer's disease, her mother had been placed in a permanently care facility and couldn't answer her questions. Mother responded with short information if Daddy because she had little another. I was busy refining Dad's story and thought Mom's letter would räcka. Curiously I contacted this unknown relative, Gwen Granger. Gwen is daughter of Cora Brown Mattison, one of Dad's aunts from Brown page of family living in Bruce, Wisconsin. She said that her aunt Gerty had just died at age of ninety-four on November 16, 1995 in their home city of Bruce and she was be able to to get some images of Brown family to broadcast me from Gerty's photo albums. The pictures was of Dad's daddy, my grandpa, Limb, and some of his other brothers and sisters in their later year of life. The was like a tax chest opened. I never thought that I would be able to know what Limb looked like. There is a striking resemblance to Daddy, my twin brother and me. Gwen gave me name of other cousins of Daddy; Mable's daughter, Lucille Wilcoxson of Tacoma, Washington; Willard's daughter, Martha Brown Morris of Valier, Montana and son, Chester, of Dayton, Washington. Martha had already launched to collect birth and dead certificates on immediate George Brown family and statistics from extended generations. This helped tell entire story. Oddly, Martha's husband's name is Alvin Morris and he poison a Brown and my is Morris Alvin Brown. Martha told me was to contact Wilson. I tried to contact him of phone and letter over a period of if a month. When I was if to give up, I surprising received a letter from Wilson's wife, Joy. She and Wilson had lived in Harysville, Washington and sadly reported that Wilson had died just a week before. Despite settling her own problems, she was be able to to ready up any questions if Limb and other areas. Martha collected certificates of birth and dead of family as well as photographs. Daughter of Clara, Patty Baxter, shared stories if family in Bremerton area. She was especially informative if Limb and Emory. Some comments came from a another cousin, Ivy's son, Eugene, of Bozeman, Montana. He said that his daddy went of nickname "Ivy" more often than "Ivan" or "Ivon". Like many other in family, he knew little of Brown family history and indicated that he would talk to his infirm mother, Ina, when she recuperated. But she died before he was be able to to question her my questions. Eugene said that after World War I, many people from that part of Montana moved to Seattle area. He also said that Browns was primarily machinists and mechanics and was surprised to hear that my twin brother, Towelling, and I was architects. I wondered what that comment meant when he himself self was a attorney. Those employments in Bremerton was at Navy Ship Yard was that kind of skill was in demand. Nevertheless, Daddy, my brother, and I did comes of those abilities of course. Eugene's brother, Keith, said that when one of extended Brown families came to visit a another, the brought along little donations such as sugar-candy, etc. "It's just the way the was.", he said. Judy Van Vleet of Good Falls also contributed. Her daddy was brother of Ina. She transmitted backups of Ivan's parent's (Lucy and George) wedding certificate and George's dead certificate. She also conveyed a 1860 Indiana census listing family of Lemuel Brown. The was hoped that she could find her good granny, Danelia, listed as one of Lemuel's children. She wasn't listed and can have been born later. Gwen had in her possession a interesting hand-written two page document if Brown family. The described our story from immigrant year to homesteaders. This story had been told of Mable Brown Jenson and recorded of Eugene Schroeder, son of Gerty Brown Mattison Schroeder (Mable's sister). I quoted Mable was her information fit in appropriate sequence of events as history expanded.


As with many families very, unless all, of their early ancestry have been lost. This is certainly true of this Brown family. Just sketchy notes of immigrant year remain. The most distant relative known pipe to this country in late seventeen hundreds from Holland. He wasn't a Brown but some of puzzle. His name was Alfred Myers. Alfred's daddy and three brothers had been Lutheran ministers and the can have expected Alfred to follow in their confession. Alfred had other callings and he immigrated to America to solve his "economic and family problems, said Mable. The was not explained what those problems was, just that this country gave him hope to do better. There is no record of boat trip with its very suffering and challenges as was often cases. Alfred arranged near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and was a piece of business keeper. There he poison a lady whose name and ancestry is unknown. The must have moved at some point because their daughter, Margaret, was born in Indiana in 1827.


This daughter poison Lemuel Brown . Lemuel was born in 1828 in Kentucky. The appears that Lemuel's immigrant daddy had been a "wealthy merchant" in Ireland and on his arrival to this country arranged in Kentucky was he "invested in a big plantation". Lemuel left Kentucky and arranged in his wife's home state of Indiana. At the time of 1860 census, Lemuel and Margaret had been living in Georgetown Township, Floyd County, Indiana. This society was located immediately west over Ohio River from Louisville, Kentucky. He Listed in 1860 census and was thirty-three year old at tooth. Her tooth was spelled as scribed. Mable indicated that his name was "Al' but his tooth is recorded as Lemuel in his son's (George Myers Brown) dead certificate. Be was listed in 1860 census and was thirty-two year old at Tooth. In her story, Mable said that Lemuel had Roved to Kentucky and established a plantation. But then that was state was Lemuel was horn the appears that his immigrant daddy was the first to arrange there. Like other plantations of the day, Martha had heard that this a had slaves for. was thirty-two year old and she was thirty-three. Census recorded that Lemuel was a farmer with a $3,000 goods rate. Although there was two other with the same estimation the was highest amount recorded on two pages was his family was listed. Usual was some hundred dollars. Six children was listed in the household - George (age 5), Henry (age 2) and Wilhelm (age 6 months) was Browns. The second children had different previous name and did not indicate their relationship. All was born in Indiana. Their oldest son, George Myers Brown' had received a fine education in a easterly school", said Mable, and decided to move west even although he could have had a fine home in Kentucky". He moved to Hairdresser County, Kansas. The is not sure what Mable meant of that because George was born and apparently raised in Indiana. Hairdresser County is adjacent county over Ohio river was his daddy can have comes from. There he met a young woman labeled Nellie Malinda Clemens . She was born in Chillicothe, Illinois on March 28, 1870'. The was poison on October 18, 1885 at her fathers home in Sun City, Kansas. George was thirty year old and Lucy was sixteen. Lucy had several brothers and was daughter of The place and date of George's birth is familiar different on several different document. Birth certificate of his son, Soft, recorded his birthplace as Floyd County, Indiana and daughter Violet's birth certificate just said Indiana. George's own dead certificate said that he was horn on August 15, 1855 in Indiana. His wife Lucy was informant in order to document. 1860 Census verifies Indiana and year of birth of subtracting George's age at That tooth. Delayed certificate of birth of his daughter, Gerty, displays this place to have been Louisville, Kentucky in 1856. Kentucky is also familiar on wise document for two other children, hory and Margaret. A another daughter, Stella, wrote in her the bible that George had been horn on August 15, 1856 in Frankfort, Kentucky - located if fifty tiles east of Louisville. On Kiory's dead certificate, Wilson wrote that his father's tooth was George Perry Brown - a mix-up with name of a older brother that died when Wilson was if seven year old. Nellie was known of her nickname,  ", but the is not known when or how she obtain the. This name wasn't familiar on their marriage license. There are numerous document causing confusion of recording different spellings for Lucy's previous name. Nellie Malinda Clements (not Clemens) was written ready on the first line of license and Millie Clements on a another. This other addition appears to he bad penmanship. Never-the-less, a would expect that Lucy would have known how to spell her previous name and would have demanded a change had she seen the document. Lucy's immediate family also had problems with spelling of her maiden name. George Perry Brown's dead certificate said Clemins. Mable recorded her mother's name as Lucy Maud Clemons and Gerty's delayed birth certificate says Lucy Miranda Clelens. Len's birth certificate also said Kelly H. Cleions and his dead certificate recorded Lucy M. Clenens, Willard's marriage license statements his mother's name as Nellie M. Clenons. Wilson also used Clelons in filling out Biory's dead certificate. All these tines sound so much alike. City and date was recorded on their daughter's delayed certificate of birth (Gerty). Lucy's dead certificate and Ivy's written data confined Date. Irishman Alvin Clemens that had fought for Connected Army under Civil War. A photo of Alvin and his family with photographer's inscription, "Alvin Clemens & Family'-", displays them healthy and thin. Alvin is sitting with his wife at his page. Their two sons, Charley and younger Jimmy, is stands behind them. Lucy is not included. Their mother's maiden name was Sehrwood. Although her the first name have been lost, Mable had recorded that she was from Norway. The had been told of family that Lucy's daddy was a brother of famous author, Samuel Clemens - better known as Highlight Tvenne (1835-1910). Their previous name had the same spelling and history displays that Samuel Clemens, like Alvin Clemens, had also served in Connected Army for a short time in 1861. But there is no evidence to support this claim and the appears to be a romantic myth. Alvin wasn't included in some of four books that was researched George and Lucy 'settled on a small farm" in Hairdresser County for a year and then "exhausted some time in Topeka, Kansas", said Mable. There, at age of sixteen, Lucy gave birth to their the first children, Willard, on November 15, 1886.


Crucial to move more west the homesteaded in Evans, Montana; a area that is not on map but was a society of homestead farms if fifteen miles south-easterly of Good Falls, Montana. Date is not known or for how long the remained there. Some of their children was born on farm and other was born in nearby Stockett probably in search of better medical attention. At the time Stockett was a booming coal mining city but today the have a population of if a hundred people. Family moved on again in 1910 to arrange a homestead of a hundred and sixty acres if eighteen miles northeast of present day city of Denton in a another homestead society called Sunnyside. This was Judith Basin area of central Montana and one of previous in Fron Lucy's dead certificate. Boy's Life of Highlight Tvenne of Albert Biqelow Paine, published of Harper & Line, New York & Evanston 1944, Highlight Tvenne and His World of Justin Chaplain, published of Sinon & Schuster, New York 1974, Adventure of Highlight Tvenne of German Attitude, published of Little, Brown and Company, Hostoti 1954 and San Cleiens of Hannibal of Dixon Wecter, published of Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston 1952. state to be opened for homesteading. Brown farm was arranged if the same time as their neighbors to the east, Martins (Dad's other grandparents). Like many other plowing a living on land under that period of American history, a had to be resourceful. Land was rich and productive with enough moisture, but that wasn't always sure. If a homesteader tailed in what ever responsibilities was required to "prove up land" the would have förlorat their title and land was to have reverted back to U.S. Government. Apparently law did not deselect family members from refiling or, those that administered the program was slack in enforcing requirements. Peace Lahr Jr. said that Fergus County statements showed that in Brown family, mother Lucy filed the first and then to their son, Limb, and back again. The is not known why daddy, George, wasn't represented on this list. In Walter and Louisa Martin family, these signatures went from Walter, to Louisa, to daughter Lucinda, and back again to fill a page of County statements and part of a another page recording year from 1910 to 1934. At that point, the had been living in city under hard winters and agriculture must have improved. Land remains in Lahr family to this day. Along with George and Lucy's big and still growing family, joining them was a "brother and sister," said Mable. Farm was planted in most wheat except for some acres that had been reserved for cattle. There the lived and worked for "over fifteen year". Family had adult to seven girls and seven boys in this order; Willard (1886), Leonard (?), Lemuel "Limb" (1888), twins Estella and Emory "Cougar (1892), George (1896), Mable (1899), Gertrude "Gerty" (1901), Iveston "Ivy" (1903), twins Cora and Clara (1907), Margaret (1910), Wilson (1911) and Violet (1916). Their other children, Leonard, appears to have died as a infant. Nothing more is known of this episode in the family's life or is the known when, was or how the happened. The is not ready whose brother or sister these was but Judy Van Vleet thought that the could have been George's brother of unknown name and sister, barelia Brown. Emory's birth certificate indicated a children had earlier died. Martha remembers layers this children could have been a twin to Soft but Lei's birth certificate does not indicate that a twin was born. Martha had also heard that children had reached soic age before eager of 'falling from something'. Dad's half brother, Peace Lahr Jr., remember hearing year then that one of those brothers had been killed when a car he had been driving hit a pole moment on way to a dance in Alton. Alton was a agriculture neighborhood like that at Sunnyside and if halfway to Denton from family farm. Dance can have been held at a room school or a barn. Gwen said his name was George Perry and that he had been in his late tonår at the time of accident. Martha had heard that he had been decapitated. His dead certificate indicated that his car had overturned but two words wasn't legible that could have cleared that up. The also gives his date of dead as June 29, 1918 at tjugoett year of age and that he was born in Evans', Montana on August 4, 1896. Peace also said that George and Lucy Brown homestead was adjacent farm to west of his and Dad's grandparent's, Martins, homestead. Dad's daddy, Lemuel Alvin, born on November 27, 1888 in Evans, Montana, was one of oldest Brown children. Becomes neighbors could account for reason how he met and poison Dad's mother, One, in 1913. New weds did not seems to have problems deposit for land. On June 25, 1914, Limb filed for and received a homestead of three hundred and twenty acres. On her own, One filled for and received a hundred and sixty acres on November 9, .1914 at a charge of $1.20 per acre. This land eventually became some of Lahr farm and was located if five or six miles east of Martin's homestead on Bear Sources Bench. Daddy apparently did not know this because he did not have chance to farm the like a young man or ever mentioned the. 1917 was a year of catastrophe in order to part of country. A drought had set in that would take its toll in many before life finally improved. The certainly became a eventful year for Limb. Estranged from his wife for some time, he was served with divorce paper of sheriff on July 12, 1917. Three months earlier Incorporated States had entered World War I. Limb did not show up for court and this can have been the time he joined Army. Under that period, America experienced a massive mobilization that included recruiting of a and a half million men and military service of nearly three million more from age of eighteen to forty-five. Len's younger brother, Emory, also joined. Entire country had been called to help meet war demands of manpower, munitions and food. Unsolicited efforts was enormous. Farms of the time enjoyed a tjugofem percent increase in real revenue. But drought robbed this benefit from Browns and all other in that part of Montana. Relationship between Limb and One hadn't been on firm behalf. The had launched a family but Limb apparently wasn't a stable husband or daddy. Allowance was serious enough to leave One with no other refuge but to file for divorce. At the time, Alvin Walter (b. January 25, 1914), was three and a half year old and Raymond Russell (b. December 19, 1915) was a and one- half year old. The had been raised of Etta's parents, Walter and Louisa Martin, then Raymond's birth. Divorce document was dated September 11, 1917. Grounds for divorce stated that Limb had "failed and neglected to provide for his wife". Also, under earlier two year, the documents state that Limb had been "everlasting immoderate from the use of intoxicating drinks in such a degrees as to disqualify him a good part of the time from properly attending to business" and this "was entirely due to defendant's idleness, waste and dissipation." Limb was required to pay twenty dollars per month children payments pl us two hundred dollars for the attorney's fees. One eventually poison again to a another homesteader labeled Peace Lahr and had three more children; Marjorie, Maryetta and Peace Jr.


Little is known of daily very suffering and event of homesteading Brown family. Remembering her daddy, George, Cora would often say, "That old man poison that young girl." when asked, she usually had little to say if him and blamed him for "leave and never coming back". This tragisk event took place when she was just nine year old. George was ill and left home searching medical treatment and travelled if a hundred and thirty miles west to Good Falls, Montana. There he soon died after becomes attended of a doctor for six days. His dead certificate notes heart wrong at age of sixty-three on February 6, 1919. He was buried in a unmarked serious located between plots of Sarah Simonton and Nina Hall in section 10, very 543, behind water tower at Upland Church-yard in Good Falls. Things couldn't get very worse for Brown family. Drought that had lame state for as long had continued to parch land through remainder of 1919. Mable said "Cattle and horses starved to dead" and that, "This prolonged drought spelled breakup of homestead." Before this time some of older children had left farm for different places and reasons. "Homestead was just left because children was old enough to be employee in bigger west cities."


After George died family can have remained on farm for some time in anticipation of spring. At age of sixteen, Ivy was just man that could have worked farm. Oldest son was poison and on his own, two other was in army, two was dead and Wilson was just a children. There probably wasn't very to be done anyway as drama unfolded. When Lucy did decide to leave homestead she moved remaining family to Whitefish, Montana was her oldest son, Willard, and his family lived. That was a long move of over three hundred miles that required crossing of high way through Glacier National Park. Life continued as family arranged to their new home located at 614 Somers Street. Like most other of the day, this cottage had a covered sitting porch on front of house facing street. High pitched roof of house, strech from front to back, covered a attic other floor. At tooth of this writes house still stands. The is not known how Lucy supported himself self but her older children probably helped. Some memories from that period remain. Like a young boy, Chester stayed with his granny for nine months moment his daddy worked at water works. He remember Lucy like a "good ol' boil" that could do just if anything. Her neighbour was a Norwegian and at times the would get along and do Lefsa. This long flat unleavened bread was made of mashing potatoes until mix was firm and then dough was rolled out to be cooked on top of a wood/coal stove. was neighbors ate their bread with butter, Lucy used clip and jellies. Martha said that Lucy called these "jelly roles" and the was also made with pan cakes. Chester said that his granny was "absolutely in making children memory" and did not put up with very husky play. Not long after move, city of Whitefish installed a sower system and built new streets between properly uppradade home in a area that had been a dense forest just a get blocks from city downtown. Earlier to these urban enhancements, traffic would must change course around tree stumps on bad with hjulpår dirt ways. The took crews of "hundreds of men" to wrestle big around boulders from the earth. The also boarded up all windows on adjacent house as the could certainly dynamite out tree stumps. American involvement in world War I wasn't long, just for if a and a half year. Armistice came November 11, 1919. Million had been killed and countless other had been wounded including Soft and Emory. Emory suffered worse of two. Family had received a telegram says that he was missing in action. The had provided he was dead and was relieved when he was found alive in a French hospital. Emory was just other family member, other than his daddy, that Daddy had known anything if and remember hearing that he had been gassed, lost a finger and had been shot in hip. At times he had problems with his feet and can have struggled with a another common problems from War, ditch foot. Limb was corrupted for and pipe home with loin damage caused of German use of chlorine gas in ditch warfare. In Denton he and Emory found little to keep them there. Soft wasn't allowed to see his sons and his own family can have left farm of then. The both continued on to Bremerton, Washington to start life over. Some year later Lucy decided to go with Limb and Emory in Bremerton. Her grandson, George (Willard's son), had broken a legs of stepping in a gopher hole and Lucy cared for him under summer of 1925. That fall she moved and probably with her went oldest daughter, Stella, and Clara, as well as younger ones; Margaret, Wilson, and Violet. Wilson remember becomes if twelve year old at time. Lucy lived there until her dead on June 18, 193814. She was buried in Bremerton.


Five year before his father's dead, Willard Edyth had poison Francis Alice Mclntire in Lewistown on September 27, 1914. Their the first children, Chester Leonard, was born on September 15, 1915 in Denton and then the moved. George Eugene was born in Big Sandy, Montana, November 14, 1916. Francis was pregnant as the moved to Whitefish located at west base of Glacier National Park. But timing wasn't good and their the first daughter, Lucy Mildred, was born along the way on Blackfeet Indian Proviso was the was given sanctuary in cabin of Default Wades-In-The-water on September 14, 1918. In Whitefish the had two more daughters; Ethel Can was born on June 16, 1923 and Martha Alice was born on November 3, 1926. Willard left Montana just "once when the moved to Weiser, Idaho for a couple of year", Martha said. Times was difficult and Willard moved his family from city to city in Montana looking for work; Foot. Benton, Browning, and Good Falls. But most of his year was exhausted in Whitefish and Choteau, Montana. In Whitefish Willard worked numerous employments; he herded receives, worked for Police Department as one of the first City policemen and worked at City Water Container was he was liable for servicing of wood water pipes. Under prohibition, he also made beer and sold the to Police Department and other people. Moment the lived in Choteau, Willard had to leave family to find work at Foot. Peck dust project if four hundred miles east over state. He wasn't be able to to get home longer often than two or three times per year. This dust was built under Descent year of 1930's. At that tooth the was one of biggest the earth fill dams in the world and stretched nearly four miles over Missouri River in northeastern Montana. Surprising, Daddy and his brother worked at this dust for. The had just been there for a short period of time, six months, and had their paths crossed neither would have known the second. On August 4, 1945, Willard died of loin cancer at age of fifty-nine. He was buried in Good Falls and was survived of his wife and adult children.

Chester Leonard Brown, the first children, poison twice in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho. Adeline Garnsey was his the first wife for many year. When she died he poison Wilma Kohl. Neither family had children but Wilma had two children from a earlier marriage.

George Eugene Brown poison twice - the first was to Clara Young in California. No children issued from that association and later George poison Joann Cabbage in Whitefish, Montana on July 17, 1957 with whom three children was reared;

Chester Elroy Brown (b. December 19, 1959)
Darlene Rae Brown (b. August 3, 1961)
Ronald Lee Brown (b. February 2, 1965)

Lucy Mildred Brown poison Walter Emanuel Bodeen in Choteau, Montana on February 7,1937. He was born on October 8, 1915 and died September 7, 1961. Lucy outlived Walter and died February 26, 1996. The raised fourteen children;

Ronald Arvid Bodeen (b. July 12, 1937)
Cynthia Jane Bodeen (b. May 21, 1939)
Allen Bodeen (Born and died 1941)
Gertrude Joy Bodeen (b. May 21, 1942)
Wesley Eugene Bodeen (b. July 30, 1943)
Ruby Jean Bodeen (b. February 28, 1945)
Russell Ernest Bodeen (b. September 8, 1946)
Ruth Janet Bodeen (b. May 26, 1948)
Rodney Emanuel Bodeen (b. March 31, 1950)
Ray Evan Bodeen (b. August 13, 1952)
Roy Everet Bodeen (b. September 30, 1953)
Robin Juanita Bodeen (b. June 3, 1954)
Sandra Kay Bodeen (b. January 5, 1957)
Rose Ann Bodeen (b. October 3, 1958)

Ethel Can Brown poison English count Lloyd Camden in Great Falls, Montana. He was born in Scuttle, Missouri on January 17, 1917. Along the had she had six children;

Elmer Lloyd Camden Cb. October 21, 1943)
James Willard Camden (b. March 13, 1946)
Mary Ann Camden (b. September 6, 1948)
Marleen Marie Camden (b. February 8, 1951)
Robert Lee Camden (b. May 31, 1956)
Sylvia Jean Camden (b. April 30, 1958)

Previous children, Martha Alice Brown, poison Robert E. F. Orr in Choteau, Montana and had two children. This marriage did not previous and Martha went on to get married Ivan Williams in Coeur D' Alene, Idaho. After he died in a freak accident, she poison Alvin Morris January 12, 1970 also in Coeur D' Alene. Neither the second or third marriage produced children.

Victor Lavall Orr (b. April 18, 1943)
Diana Lee Orr (b. July 11, 1946)


In Bremerton, Limb worked like a rigger that directed crane operators for Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. He had omgift and with his new wife, Liz, had two daughters, Fernie and June. But that relationship did not previous and Soft and Liz divorced. Both daughters arranged in California; Fernie to Redwood City and June poison a college professor living in San Francisco. Soft poison for a third time to a woman labeled Irene. Irene took care of Len's mother, Lucy, for some duration until Emory took over. In 1933, Irene gave birth to a daughter labeled Beverly Irene. Patty Baxter said that "Soft doted on Beverly". She liked to dance and Soft spared no expense for her. He made sure that she had a closet full of dance costumes and seemed to have had no problems spending money on outings with his family. The lived at 428 Wycoff Street in Bremerton and Patty thought that was home Soft had förlorat in gambling. Drink, gambling and carousing finally took its toll. Their marriage of many year also failed. After divorce, Irene moved to Marysville, Washington and poison a man whose previous name was Rhoades. At that point Wilson's wife, Joy, contacted Irene and found that she was not receptive to some continued relationship with Brown family. Beverly poison and had two daughters and a son. Their previous name is Skinner. After his third marriage, Soft lived previous ten year of his life in Washington Veteran's Home in Retsil, Washington - located on top of a hill on outskirts of Harbour Orchard, Washington at the head of bay. There he suffered with a malignant left loin for five year and with a malignant kidney for six months before eager "immediately" from a hemorrhage in that kidney on October 2, 1959. He had reached age of seventy and was buried at Retsil Church-yard. Whether or not he was alone at his dead is not known. Patty's mother, Clara, worked at that facility under year Soft lived there. She remember her mother complaining often if Limb and his ways, especially when "lady friends" visited him in his room. Patty described him as "a real tjusare" and that he was "neat and good dressed". He looked especially good in his straw hat. There was a eventful spring day in 1945 when Soft made a effort to meet his two adult sons from his the first marriage. The was near end of W.W.II when Daddy and Raymond was both work for Boeing Aeroplane Corporations in Renton, Washington. Limb was still poison to Irene. After a short surprise introduction of himself self to Daddy, Soft invited him and Mother to eat on next weekend and the was to bring Raymond. The went but moment was fugitive, a improved relationship wasn't established. Daddy did not see their daddy again. A get months later Daddy moved back to Montana with his wife, Juliet, and new twin sons. The is not known how Soft got along with his daughters but neither of his sons was interested or be able to to develop closer ties with him in end. Raymond visited Soft a final time in if 1951 and introduced his new wife, Helen. Next time the heard anything from or if Limb was when Raymond received a court document announcing a hearing that was to be held on June 13, 1960 to arrange Lem's goods. Soft had died eight and a half months earlier and his daughter Beverly Irene Skinner was executor of his goods. Raymond told Daddy of this matter and neither went to court date. At that time, Raymond related to his wife, "We (he and his brother, Alvin) would have would have given anything to get a short from him on our birthdays or at Christmas". Daddy (Alvin Walter Brown) and Mother had exhausted most of War year work for Boeing Aeroplane Corporations in Seattle suburb of Renton, Washington. After War the moved back to Hardin, Montana to continue their live. Before War Daddy had left farm to work for new built Holly Sugar Corporations factory in Hardin. There he met and poison Juliet Graph that had adult up there. In his work, Daddy worked his way to peak to become Champion Mechanical of factory in Sidney, Montana was he retired. He and Mother then moved to Denver, Colorado for several year before settling in El Paso, Texas. Daddy died at age of nearly eighty- a year old on December 4, 1994. He was cremated. Their boys was fifteen minuets apart in birth; Morris Alvin Brown (twin, b. August 5, 1945) Terrance "Towelling" John Brown (twin, b. August 5, 1945) After War Raymond Russell Brown also went back to Montana. In Denton he met and poison Helen Wilson on November 8, 1948. The moved back to Seattle was Raymond again worked for Boeing and continued until his retirement. He died on March 17, 1984. Raymond demanded and was buried next to his grandparents, Martins, in Denton Church-yard. The adopted their just son;

Gerald "Jerry" Brown (b. July 23, 1956)


On June 9, 1892, Estella "Stella" Can and her twin brother, Emory, had been born in Evans, Montana. After moving with her mother, her younger brother and sisters to Bremerton, she poison Charlie McManus and remained there work in Puget Sound Naval Shipyard until her dead on September 12, 1959. She was interred at Woodlawn Memorial Park in Bremerton. Her husband also worked at ship yard and operated one of giant cranes. Patty Baxter described Stella so much religious, to point of extreme. She had been a member of Four Square Gospel Church. She rarely went to the pictures and just once went to see something that 'Jesus of Nazareth'." Stella and Charlie reared two children; Chap Norman (b. March 20,1921) and Gertrude (b. December 18, 1916). Chap Norman McManus, or Norman as he was called, became a minister. He and his wife, Barbara Ann Gerber, was poison in Bremerton, Washington and raised six children. He passed away in Seattle, Washington on September 6, 1969 and was buried in Washelli Church-yard.

Richard Lee McManus (b. February 20, 1948)
Gail Eileen McManus (b. March 17, 1950)
Rohoda Marie McManus (b. October 28, 1951)
Paula Lynn McManus (b. July 28, 1955)
David Norman McManus (b. February 16, 1957)
Daniel '"Danny" Mark McManus (b. October 14, 1958)

when Gertrude McManus grew to adulthood, her the first marriage was to Pete Pupo. The had a daughter labeled Sharon Marguirita McManus (spelling is correct) that was born October 14, 1943 and died March 20, 1965 at age of eight. When Gertrude's relationship to Pete ended, she poison her aunt Violet's the first husband, Floyd Kelly. From that association, Carolyn Yeah Kelly was born on March 14, 1958. Gertrude died April 2, 1988.


Emory (no middle name), born on June 9, 1892, must have handle what seemed to be a uneventful life for his the first tjugofem year on farm as compared to his experiences on battleground. After War he arranged to his life in Bremerton but not without problems. He couldn't shake ryslighet of war and often awoke with terrible dreams. Emory's pink name was "Cougar" but it is unknown how he got the. After his return from War, he worked in Puget Sound Ship Yard like a crane operator and ship cutter. Emory lived tarvligt and saved everything. "Money became a obsession because the was all that he had", said Patty Baxter. She described him as a "reclusive old bachelor" and that "he was loose and nasty most of time". Gwen said she had heard that he was enervated and that can have been why he never poison. She had met Emory once and said that he seemed "grumpy'. Mable's daughter, Lucille, that knew him good said that he can have been in pain at that moment and added, "He was a lovely man that had given his life to his family." With no help from any of cavity other family members, Emory took care of Wilson, Violet and their mother. Wilson's wife, Joy, concurred. He wasn't good very of the time and suffered after effects of freezed feet. Trots pains that Emory experienced in War, he did talk if the. Like a children, Chester had found Emory's military leggings; plays with them in front of Emory prompted him to relate a story. Under a blow, Emory and four or five other soldiers was becomes shot at of a German soldier as the was goes for a fox hole. Emory was faster than other and reached hole the first. Followers dived in and landed on top of Emory and he said, "Damned near killed me!" Chester also said that Emory was economical and invested good. With if $1,200 in W.W.I tape, he launched to acquire property and owned forty-eight house before his dead. Martha remember when Emory had comes to visit his brother, Ivy, in Good Falls, he brought along a impressive coin collection. She said that before he died he gave this tax to a museum each in Bremerton or Seattle. Dad's brother's wife, Helen, said that the had been rumored, but never confirmed, that Emory had kept a "sack of savings tape under foot of his bed". Wilson told Chester, "When Emory launched to fails, some woman tried to get to his life" and Wilson soon "place a stop to that.' Emory died on November 15, 1967 and was buried in Marysville Church-yard. Finally, Emory was both generous and stöttande of his family. In his will he left a thousand dollars to each of his living brothers and sisters but just bequeathed a dollars to his sister, Violet. He disapproved of her life style. A feel of humour was displayed in his photo albums and in joke he told. A image, dated November 1943, displays him sitting in a garden of daisies and he wrote, "Prince of Peace". A another prisoners him with his trousers legs drew up says, "10th wonder of the world". A portrait of Emory in front of his weathered old house was penned, "Brown and mansion". One of his joke, that Martha remember, was from period when women bare hats of all shapes and sizes and often times was packed in boxes that was abridgement that good created. "A lady went to a hat affair looking for a new hat. When she found what she liked, she said, 'I'll take that one'. Affair keeper responded, 'Lady, it is not a hat, it is a box."


According to to her daughter, Lucille, Mable Blanche had been born on March 8, 1899. She had poison and moved often with her husband, Wilhelm Christians Otto "Bill" Jensen. The lived in Denton for some time then moved to Baker and Coffee Little bay, Montana. The returned to Baker and then moved east to Wisconsin in 1920 when Mable was pregnant. There Lucille Angeline was born on October 18, 1920 in Bruce, Wisconsin. The had two other children, Wilhelm Christians Otto Jr. (b. June 12, 1927) and Louise Can (b. June 6, 1917). Mable and Bill returned to Montana to live in both Good Falls and Baker and returned to Wisconsin in if 1926. Once again the moved back to Baker and after Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, the moved for previous time to Tacoma, Washington was Brook launched a furniture store with his son-in-law, Lucille's husband, Raymond "Ray" Larson. Mable died on February 24, 1990. Lucille Angeline Jensen poison Walter Raymond Larson. He was born in 1911 to Swedish immigrant parents and died in 1981. The reared two children. She poison a other time to Chap Lee Wilcoxson. No children issued from that marriage.

Alma Raye Larson (b. November 25, 1944)
Barbara "Bobbi" Ann Larson (b. January 24,1945)

Wilhelm "Vilhelm" Christians Otto Jensen, Jr. poison Virginia. Her celibate name is unknown but she had been earlier poison to a Overby. She brought two children to this marriage - David Overby and Hayrick Oberby. Along Vilhelm and Virginia added a daughter to family;

Linda Jean Jensen (b. unknown)

Louise Can Jensen poison James Leroy Hoag in 1911. The raised three children before her dead on June 17, 1954. She was buried in Tacoma, Washington.

Judy Raye Hoag (b. November 6, 1937).

She poison James Milton Coe and both died July 9, 1992 in a car accident.

Dewitt Hoag (b. October 23, 1940)
Nancy Lee Hoag (b. July 14, 1943)


Census from her time and a delayed certificate of birth recorded that Gertrude Mildred had been born on June 7, 1901 in Good Falls, Montana. She had gone to Wisconsin in 1918, the year before her father's dead, to live with her sister Mable. There she poison Sincere Andrew Mattison. Her delayed birth certificate said that she was poison on Can 11, 1921. The had two children, Richard Sincere (b. June 25, 1922) and Shiny Vivian (b. August 4, 1927) before Frank's dead in 1933. She omgift in 1935 to Irvin Schroeder and the had a son, Eugene Edward (b. December 5, 1937). Her obituary said, "The farmed in Blue Hills until 1952, when their son Richard and wife Dea took over farm. Gertrude and Irvin moved to Bruce was the lived until Irvin's dead on April 9, 1985, and Gertrude had to live at custody home because of ill health." She died November 16, 1995. Her son, Eugene, wrote, "My mother have never gone back west after she came to Wisconsin." Year after her move east, a sister wrote to her and described old homestead buildings as stands but very weather beaten. Richard Sincere Mattison poison Dea Veness in Exeland, Wisconsin and raised three children;

Mark Richard Mattison (b. August 18, 1950)
Arnold Erwin Mattison (b. January 18, 1953)
Sherry Jane Mattison (b. August 7, 1956)

Shirley Vivian Mattison poison Gustave Cheligren on February 19, 1953. The reared four children;

Gail Anne Cheligren (b. November 1, 1953)
Joan Marie Cheligren (twin, b. February 15, 1955)
Jean Mary Cheligren (twin, b. February 15, 1955)
Gregory Walter Cheligren (b. May 22, 1956 d. December 2, 1985)

Eugene Edward Schroeder poison Jaclyn Lieber on February 5, 1964 and fostered three children;

Julia Schroeder (b. July 27, 1970)
Joanna Sue Schroeder (b. July 24, 1972)
Janet Louise Schroeder (b. January 27, 1978)


Iveston Homer was born on September 6, 1903. After leave farm, he stayed in Montana to get married his cousin, Ina Back on October 29, 1927. She was born in Calvert, Montana on February 27, 1907. The lived in Good Falls for remainder of their live was Ivy worked like a carpenter and raised three boys, Donald Colman (b. November 12,1929), Keith Edward (b. November 17,1932) and Eugene Ivan (b, Can 2, 1935). Ivy was a resourceful man that built his own house with many of materials becomes found from place to place over year. He died June 1, 1989 at age of eighty-five of natural causes. mother lived some more year and died in 1995 keeping their blood relationship private nearly finally. The was both entombed in Good Falls. Ivy had a good feel of humour. On a opportunity, he told Martha's sister, "I have lost my rubber. Can you go to chicken house and see if you can find the? When the response was "no!" he had a good laugh. Donald Colman Brown poison Splinters Schuff in Good Falls, Montana on August 17, 1952. She was born January 29, 1934. The raised two children;

Alan Gene Brown (b. November 26, 1953)
Carrie Lee Brown (b. January 22, 1958)

Keith Edward Brown married his first wife, Phyllis Sigler, in Great Falls in August 1950. The had a son before divorcing in 1952;

Larry Dean Brown (b. April 9, 1951)

Keith poison Joyce Lange in Yuma, Arizona on November 27, 1954. Their children was;

Deborah Evonne Brown (b. October 5, 1955)
Robin Nicholle Brown (b. May 13, 1958)
Jodene Annette Brown (b. August 28, 1959)

Eugene Ivan Brown poison Marlene Davidson on September 15, 1960 in Good Falls, Montana. She was born June 12, 1936. The nurtured five children;

Victoria Jean Brown (b. November 15, 1958)
Lyn Marie Brown (b. April 13, 1961)
Katherine Kay Brown (b. July 17, 1962)
Bradley Gene Drown (b. November 12, 1964)
Danielle Lee Brown (b. November 22, 1965)


Clara Girl and her twin sister, Cora Beautiful woman, was born in Evans, Montana on September 23, l907. After move to Washington with her mother in 1925, Clara poison Gerald "Gerry" Morgan and the lived in Harbour Orchard until her dead on December 30, 1961. She was buried at Ivy Green Church-yard in Bremerton. The had two children; James Phillip (b. Can 3, 1936) and Patricia "Patty" Margaret (b. September 2, 1938) in Harbour Angeles. Patty said that her mother loved becomes some of Brown family and especially liked family convention. When Clara died, her brother, Emory, gave up his own serious empty next to their mother as that she could be buried there. The was a touching gesture of Emory and very very in characters with his support of family. Patty Margaret Morgan poison Vilhelm English count Baxter in Bremerton and raised three children;

Angela Morgan Baxter (b. June 4, 1962)
William John Baxter (b. August 11, 1963)
Ray Sean Baxter (b. November 9, 1967)

James Philip Morgan poison Barbara Holden in Tacoma, Washington and had two children;

Janelle Patricia Morgan (b. March 27, 1960)
Jeffrey Paul Morgan (b. December 29, 1963)


When other moved to Washington, Cora (born September 23, 1907) decided to do a big change in her life. Then eighteen year old, she decided to go to Wisconsin to live with Gerty and her husband Sincere Mattison. She remained in Rusk County, Wisconsin to get married Frank's brother, Clarence Mattison, on June 10, 1926 in Ladysmith, Wisconsin and just saw her mother a other time after. Issuing from this marriage was; Gwendolyn "Gwen" Irene (b. November 23, 1927), Marjorie Girl (b. June 21, 1929), Clarence Lloyd (b. January 20, 1932), Lucille Clara (b. September 19, 1936.) and Dame Beautiful woman Lee (b. January 21, 1939). All was born on farm except Dame. She was born in home of a caretaker in Bruce, Wisconsin that charged $35.00 per week. Cora outlived her husband, Clarence, that died on December 7, 1976. Gwen Irene Mattison poison Ferdinand Johnson on July 23, 1943 in Exeland, Wisconsin. He died July 18, 1963. She later poison Ramon Granger on December 30, 1966 in Magnificent Rapids, Minnesota. Seven children issued from these marriage;

David Lewis Johnson (b. July 25, 1948)
Michael Ferdinand Johnson (b. August 27, 1949)
James Lloyd Johnson (b. February 15, 1952)
Karen Ann Johnson (b. October 3, 1957)
Donald Lee Johnson (b. March 6, 1958)
Rena Joy Granger (b. June 18, 1967)
Alaina Marie Granger (b. November 7, 1970)

Marjorie Girl Mattison poison Sincere Sokolik on February 25, 1950 in Yelm Washington and had three children;

Suzanne Jane Sokolik (b. May 21, 1951)
Rosemary Lee Sokolik (b. June 11, 1952)
Sharon Jean Sokolik (b. July 12, 1955)

Clarence Lloyd Mattison poison Eleanor Kelly on January 23, 1953 in Chicago, Illinois and raised five children;

Robert Myron Mattison cb. November 23, 1954)
Thomas Lloyd Mattison (b. December 8, 1955)
Laura Elaine Mattison (b. September 8, 1959)
Frank Joseph Mattison (b. March 31, 1964)
Rhonda Eileen Mattison (b. November 9, 1962)

Lucille Clara Mattison poison Paul Revere White in Bruce, Wisconsin. Their boys is;

Morgan Scott White (b. March 24, 1956)
Michael Alan White (b. December 5, 1957)
Timothy Paul White (b. January 9, 1963)

Dame Beautiful woman Lee Mattison poison Edwin Severson on August 3, 1957 in Wheyerhauser, Wisconsin and delivered four children;

Lisa Diane Severson (b. October 11, 1958)
Kristine Lynne Severson (b. December 23, 1960)
Paula Kay Severson (b. August 13, 1963)
Edward "Eddy" Andrew Severson (b. August 19, 1968)

Margaret Elizabeth was born in Stockett, Montana on September 6, 1910. She poison Cecil James Dakan in Kitsap County, Washington on June 18, 1931. Their the first children, Gerald "German" Cecil Dakan, was born on July 28, 1932 and their other, Douglas James, was born on November 12, 1934. Like most women of her time Margaret was a mistress. She had a very shut relationship with her family, especially when phone came to use. Family trips was always to visit brothers and sisters. After a long marriage Margaret's husband divorced her because of a younger woman moment boys was in their tonår. Margaret sold home and moved with boys back to Harbour Orchard, Washington. Douglas remember that when bought of his parents, this two bedroom home in a Bremerton suburb charge a thousand five hundred dollars. Cecil also relocated and lived just four blocks away from his family in a upstairs room of a big house. This allowed boys to remain in touch with him so much as possible. German and Douglas was different ages but the happened that the graduated in the same class. If that the same time Cecil moved to California and eventually omgift. Boys entered army and contact with their parents was distanced of their own live and overseas allocations. Moving on with her life after divorce, Margaret poison Archie Blacksmith and remained in Harbour Orchard until her dead on August 3, 1976. She was buried in Bremerton's Miller-Woodlawn Memorial Park. German Cecil Dakan poison Evann Erma Bain in Washington. She brought two children to that marriage from a earlier relationship with a man whose name was also Brown, but not related. Kay Diane Brown (b. September 12, 1956) Wynn Reeda Brown (b. October 14, 1957) Along German and Evann had a girl; Sheryl Ann Dakan (b. March 18, 1959) Douglas James Dakan poison Elizabeth Fuchs in Machtilshausen, Germany in 1952. Along the reared the following children before divorcing.

Margaret Elizabeth Dakan (b. 1954)
Deborah Jane Dakan (b. 1959)
James Conrad Dakan (b. 1961)

Douglas poison again in 1983 to Evening Denim Snyder in Denver, Colorado and no children issued from that association.


Wilson Edward was born in Alton November 23, 1911 in Denton. In 1933 have poison, Joy. The famous sixty- two year of marriage before his dead on January 11, 1996 in Everett, Washington. Wilson had worked thirty year for Federal Civil Service in accountancy at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, Pearl Harbor in Oahu, Hawaii and Pier 9 in Seattle. Becomes one of youngest in such a big family and living in Hawaii for many year, he once told his wife, "I indeed not know a lot of them", when he mentioned his family. Many had poison and was gone while he was growing up. Wilson and Joy had two sons, Wilson Edward Brown, Jr. (b. 1934) and Down "Donkey" Brown (birth date unknown). Nothing more is known of this family.


Violet Lillian's life did not seems to be very arranged. She was born at Alton on October 14, 1916 in Denton and was three year old when her daddy died, forcing family to leave farm. She launched school in Whitefish and was still a young girl when the moved again, this time to Bremerton. Despite these problems, Violet seemed to have adjusted to school. A report short from the time when she was thirteen displays all "A's". As a adult, Violet poison several times and moved often. Her the first marriage to Floyd Kelly with whom she had a son, Philip Emory (b. October 7, 1940), did not previous. Life was better with her other husband, Russell Ereccesen. Violet was awaits tables and met the owner's son, Russell. His parents had launched a good known family held restaurant labeled "Dog House". Russell took over management of this place. The lived in Seattle, Washington and had a good life along, "until cancer got her for", said Gwen. Violet died on March 3, 1977 and was buried in Seattle. Philip Emory Kelly poison Heather Ann Logan. Martha said, oddly he took her previous name and she took his. The had two children;

Brian Eugene Kelly (b. April, 10, 1967)
Scott Kelly (b. April 7, 1973).

Gwen said that a number of Brown family suffered some shape of cancer. Like their mother, Lucy, that was a ten year survivors of breasts cancer, her sons Willard and Limb as well as four daughters, Stella, Clara, Margaret, and Violet, was claimed of this treacherous disease. Other in family continue to struggle with the. Lucy's granddaughter, Gwen, is also a ten year survivors. Granddaughter Martha was more fortunate. She had surgery at age of tjugoett and was cured, but lost the ability to have more children. Catastrophe and suffering wasn't just experienced of past generations. The happens to us all in one shape or a another. Martha said her the first husband was "a full" and she lost her other a in a flooding that almost took her for. She currently tolerates a another write of cancer that is treated annually but is not overwhelmed of the. Despite these serious events Martha's lovely feel of humour have bare her through the all and at age of sixty-nine, she became a good good granny on August 30, 1996 to Isabell Ann Rewood. There was rewards for. At eighty year old, Martha's brother, Chester, won a patents for his invention of a adjustable yard- impulse sprinkler stand. It's never for late. Each have his own experiences and Chester was no exception. He worked his entire career like a iron workmen tying concrete reinforcing steel for buildings, dams, and bridges. A event stood out in his memory. He was helping to build a arch at a mobster's ("Bugsy" Siegel) new expensive Flamingo Hotel on highway out of Las Vegas. This was the first hotel to be built in desert and Bugsy created tension within his own crowd of taking such a big play. Costing was out of control because of topic shortages and unscrupulous. contractors. What was to have cost a million dollars, charge six million. To do matters worse, other was making life miserable for Bugsy. A day a shiny new car drove from highway and passed along a big stack timbered. As the car sped back to highway lumber burst to flames. Wood couldn't be saved. Just months later Bugsy was executed of his own crowd. At the time of this writes, Cora is eighty-nine year old and just living brothers and sisters of George and Lucy Brown family. She reside at Ladysmith Custody Home in Ladysmith, Wisconsin. Also, in 1996 Martha collected enough money from extended family to have a modest head stone made for our Montana homesteader's (George Myers Brown) unmarked serious. I feel that something missing have been found. Our parents toss long shadows over our live. When we grow up, we imagine that we can go in the sun, free of them. We not understand, until it's for late, that we've no choice in matter; they are always before of us. We carry them within us all our live - in shape of our face, the way we go, sound of our voice, our skin, our hair, our happens, our heart. We try all our live to separately ourselves from them, and just when they are gone does we find we is indivisible." The have truly been a rich and enjoyable experience to have been part of documenting history of these families. I couldn't have done the without help of those lovely in ratio to mentioned in this story. I thank you them all. Utopi and other nieces, of Richard Eyre, published of Blocisbury and repeated of Reader's Abridgement in their Can 1996 magazine issue.